Blood: The science, medicine and mythology of menstruationJen Dr Gunter
Not knowing how your body works makes it challenging to advocate for yourself. Consequently, many people suffer in silence thinking their bodies are uniquely broken or they turn to disreputable sources. Blood is a practical, empowering guide to what's typical, what's concerning and when to seek care - recounted with the no-nonsense expertise and frank, fearless wit that have made Dr Jen today's most trusted voice in women's health.
Dr Jen answers all your period-related questions, including: What exactly happens during menstruation? How heavy is too heavy? How much should periods hurt? And provides essential information about topics such as:
* The impact of stress and health on the menstrual cycle
* Menstrual migraines, PMS and period diarrhea (yes, it's totally normal)
* Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and fibroids
* Endometriosis and the latest treatments
* The endometrium's (the uterine lining's) fascinating connection to the immune system
* Different cultural perceptions of menstruation and how they affect girls and women
* Menstruation and the trans and non-binary experience
* Legitimate menstrual products and the facts behind toxic shock syndrome
* The risks and benefits of hysterectomies
Blood is about much more than biology. It's an all-in-one, revolutionary guide that will change the way we think about, talk about - and don't talk about - our bodies and our well-being.
Paperback / softback Trade paperback (UK) (Text (eye-readable)) 480pp h232mm x w152mm x s36mm 620g