Revised 2nd Edition May 2001. Researched and written by Kevin Olivieri.

John Nugent erected the first Picture Theatre at 37 Osborne Road Mitchelton in 1916. Renovations and rebuilding were carried out in 1923, 1939 and 1956. It ceased to operate as a picture theatre in 1959, but the Nugent association with the site did not cease until 1983.

This is the story of the 'Mitchie Picture Show', of John and Jemima Nugent, and particularly of Frank, their only son, and his wife Peg. The Nugent family, the Mitchelton Picture Theatre, and the residents of Mitchelton were not discrete elements of the community but existed as a integrated regional entity.

The "Mitchie" theatre located on Osborne Road, Mitchelton opposite the railway station, is now being operated as a 'Mitre10' hardware store. Full credit to the current owners, they refurbished the outside to resemble original images as the theatre was during its last period.

They have also attempted to re-create the atmosphere with theatre memorabilia adorning the front inside of the premises.

Author: Oliveri, Kevin
Format: Paperback